Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Weekend Recap

 Hope you all had a fantastic weekend! Over the last few days, I have read so many personal stories from friends about loved ones they have lost while serving. It breaks my heart into a million pieces just thinking about it. I can't help but quote the perfect lyrics by Zac Brown Band in honor of Memorial Day.
I thank God for my life, and for the stars and stripes. May freedom forever fly. Let it ring.
Salute the ones who died, The ones that give their lives so we don't have to sacrifice all the things we love.

 We spent most of our weekend at the pool & nights in the hammock. Harper is becoming a total outdoor baby, she stands by the door saying "side. side." Which is totally fine with me! Although I think we are going to run our local Target straight outta bubbles.

On Memorial Day, I made these fruit & donut skewers for breakfast. I quickly became obsessed with them & totally want to make it more often! This would be so fun to make for brunch if you have guests or with other colored fruit with toast or mini muffins for different holidays.



I also made some festive sangria for our cookout in the evening, which was AMAZING. I had heard of people using Fresca in their sangria & I wanted something super light, almost more like a spritzer. So I used one bottle of white wine (pinot grigio), two cups-ish of Fresca (let's be honest, that is a total estimate, I just poured some in) & three cans of sparkling water.


The light, bubbly mixture combined with all the flavors of the fruit turned out to be fantastic. I used blueberries, blackberries, strawberries & pineapples (cut into star shapes of course).

I'm not much of a wine or liquor drinker at all, so this was the perfect little cocktail for me. I have a feeling it would be amazing even without the wine, the pineapple & strawberry gave it the best flavor!!

 Harpie Doodle Do just wanted to drink out of festive straws like mama! Love her so much.
 



Memorial Day will forever hold a special place in our heart for another reason totally unrelated to the real meaning of the holiday. If you've been reading my blog since the beginning, you may already know where I'm going with this.
We moved to Georgia in April of 2011, knowing absolutely nobody in the area. We had big plans to move downtown, explore the area for a year or so & make lots of new friends. In the mean time, it was just the two of us. Just the two of us trying to hang out at the pool that Memorial Day weekend, when the unthinkable happened. We ran out of beer. 
We hit the nearest grocery store only to find out that Georgia does not sell alcohol on Sundays. 
SAY WHAT?
You're telling me that there is no work tomorrow, it's beautiful outside & we can't even buy beer? Have no fear, we found a solution. 

Patio drinking at our nearest bar, live music & all! :)
A couple hours, a few beers & a possible jager bomb later, we made a baby.

 
Well played, Sunday Funday. Well played. 

Let me note that this was the BEST unplanned surprise of. all. time. You can read more in this post.

45 comments:

  1. Haha love it! I love her little face in the last pic. She's like "eew mama I don't want to hear that story!" Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab story! Tee hehe. It's pretty impressive that you can pinpoint the specific "episode" -- especially after the kind of night it was!

    Happy conception day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT! Looks like you had a great Memorial Day! That last picture of Harper is the best. I totally agree with the post by Shadia above! :) Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using skewers to help present your donuts and fruit is such a fun idea! I agree, that is definately a idea for a brunch or morning party.
    Haha, what a great little story! Sounds like a pretty Happy Memorial Day indeed!

    JessiRene*
    HartkopBaby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the donut skewers, def going to be happening around here... I seriously don't care for donuts at all and have been on such a kick the last month! Great story, we have some great conception date stories too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last photo too cute!! All these babies on blogs is making me want one in my belly...maybe I ought to run out of beer? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course, another holiday with delicious & precious looking decor! Not to mention that sweet baby girl...looking as adorable as ever!!!! OK..you may have told us before...but what's your secret to your fabulous looking hair? Didn't you say you use the Moroccan Oil products? Or did I dream that up...??? I feel like my hair is so dull and drab and I'm at a complete brick wall with it!!! Anyway...here's to summer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that story!!! Haha!!

    wordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your baby making story. Ours is similar as in we drank a ton, although ours was at Kenny Chesney, and next thing you know we had the surprise of our lives, our best work ever! Now how do we tell our kids these stories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post!!:) Your hair is so beautiful!! What's your secret?:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you always save the best pic of Harper for last :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you had a great Memorial Day! We had brats, potato salad, and corn on the cob. Delicious! I totally love the spritzer idea and can't wait to try it out.

    The story at the end is awesome. And the picture following is even better! She's such a smiley baby now. :] Enjoy your week!

    http://codeforconfession.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving her head band and tell me your hair isn't real? Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. She is precious! What a great story and funny memory to have about memorial day (or as we call it-adult spring break)! I hope you are enjoying GA! I was born and raised just south of ATL :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's a big smile!! That drink looks delicious, for real!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. everything looks delicious! I'm so going to try this, thanks for sharing!
    love the memorial day story :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh I need to try that In my sangria! And I can totally relate, living in north Alabama, we had a rude awakening when we moved here almost 2 years ago trying to buy alcohol on a Sunday! Boo!
    Glad you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awwww! Love the story! I started following your blog when you were about 15 weeks along, since I was also 15 weeks along at the time (our girls are a week apart In age) and have been hooked ever since! You have cracked me up every post since!
    Newest pics of Harper are so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Harper look adorable in her festive headband as always :)
    The fruit and donut skewers look delicious!!! And very well presented.
    I will defenetly be incorporating them in my next brunch-breakfast -party.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sangria looks amazing! I feel like everytime I try to make any type of homemade cocktail, the only thing I can taste is the alcohol (instead of all the fruit/juice/etc) so I will have to give this one a try! :) And I love your conception story! We have a similar one, it's nice to be able to remember a fun night that ended up creating such a wonderful baby! Hope you had a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. have you considered selling Harper's clothes that don't fit anymore here on the blog. I know I would buy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So sweet...Memorial Day baby!! And that spritzer sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember that post from way back in the day! Such a fun story! You look AMAZING in your picture, by the way. Like, ridiculously amazing. And I don't go running around telling just anyone that, for the record.
    And if it's even possible, I really think Harper gets cuter everyday. I have total baby hair envy right now! At just under a year, my sweet girl is JUST starting to get enough hair that it blows in the breeze! My husband and I were baldies, so I knew it was coming. Just gives me more of an excuse to keep her decorated with headbands from my Etsy shop! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. yay for baby makin!
    love love LOVE your festive-ness, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yummie!!!!!

    I love your story of pregnancy! And the result is soooo... amazing cute! ;o)

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  26. Classic!!! Thanks for sharing and happy Memorial day.
    where did you get your above the knuckle rings from your instagram pic? Love! (And what size?)
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I Have Been Following Your Blog Since Day One! I Have A Little Boy That Will Be One In Two Weeks. Your Story About How You Conceived Little Harper Is Almost The Same Way We Conceived Our Baby Trigg. We Were Out With Friends Having Drinks Then Came Home And Had A Sunday Funday Also! So Weird! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are such a cute family! Love reading your posts xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the skewers! Any excuse to use donuts, right? And reading your Memorial Day story warmed my heart. We have our "Valentine Story," the same way from last year. Funny how those holidays will never be the same!

    And I'm obsessed with Harper's tassle top. Too cute!

    www.sunshinerainbowsandbananas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. One. I need that kabob. It looks DELICIOUS.
    Two. I didn't realize how much I miss sangria until right now. 7-8 more weeks. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This one made me cry. :) it reminds me of the pure happiness I felt at finding out I would join the Mama's club. Seriously the best surprise ever. Hands down!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sounds like a fabulous weekend! The donut skewers are GENIUS and so fun. We have been using a freakish amount of bubbles as well. I introduced chalk to him this morn and it was a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  35. That sangria looks so yummy! Seven years ago this past Memorial Day weekend, my husband and I also made a baby. LOL It must be something about this particular holiday weekend. She was born on the following Valentine's Day a few days before her due date. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. loving those munchkin/fruit kabobs!! xo

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. We share the same reasoning for this special holiday!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Aww love that story!! I am so making those kabobs for my Harpers first bday coming up!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. While I love every one of your posts, this one was on the top of the list! :) Love the doughnut/fruit skewer idea, the sangria looks delish, and last your story of how Miss Harper was made...love it! You guys are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Aw, love her face in the last pic! Shelooks like she is a ham!

    ReplyDelete
  41. LMAO at her scrunchy face! Sooooo precious! And the starfruit is tres clever! Keep on being awesome!

    xoxox
    torontomama.ca

    ReplyDelete
  42. cute!! how did you do your hair in the sangria picture? i love it its so shiney and the perfect waves!! please share :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just saw a commercial for this https://www.getpopchef.com/ and instantly thought it would be a great way to make star shaped pineapple! Assuming it works... :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. LOVE the donut skewers!! And I think I'll be trying the sangria this weekend! Thanks! www.twobytwomom.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Meant to tell you...not sure if you have a Marshall's or TJMax by you but sometimes you can find those straws at either of those places, super cheap too! That's where I've always bought my cute straws. :) They don't always have all the colors you're looking for though. Thanks for the link to where you get yours!
    After reading your Sangria recipe, that's actually how we make ours. We typically use Sauvignon Blanc, some sparkling water, fresca and strawberries. You are right, it's AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete