Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Nine & Ten Month Favorites

We are just a little behind with our monthly favorites, but things sure have changed around here! We are rocking all new toys (much thanks to Christmas), more toddler gear & certainly a whole new world of food.

As I mentioned to some of you on Instagram, Harper is eating all of the food we eat now. I wouldn't say that we necessarily went the traditional way or even the "baby lead weaning way"... we were just sorta winging it with a little direction from our pediatrician. Harper started baby cereal/oatmeal at 4 months, transitioned in fruit & veggie purees at 5 months, added in "puffs" around 7 months when she started crawling. Shortly after that I started to transition to similar, less expensive substitutes, like cheerios or regular natural applesauce.

The direction from our pediatrician was that once they are crawling with their belly off the ground & appear to be picking things up with their fingers instead of their whole hand, you can start them on solids. Just making sure that everything is easy to chew (even with no teeth, they can mash with their gums/tongue!) AND small enough that they would not choke. The very first "real food" that we gave her was steamed broccoli. I steamed the shit out of it. She could barely pick it up without it crumbling. We moved on to green beans, bananas & blueberries. Then, I cut up pasta into very small pieces & fed it to her (meat included!) and she LOVED IT! Now, we just kinda test everything. Some of her current favorites are mac n' cheese, peas, tender pieces of chicken & most recently grilled cheese! Yes, I still have a heart attack EVERY TIME we try a new food... but I guess that's what parenthood is all about? :) 

Although our favorite lists should probably include cords, door stops, mascara & the cat's tail.... here's the acceptable list of things we're working with...

Britax Marathon Convertible Carseat - I know this was on our last month favorites post as well, but I can't stress enough how amazing it is to have upgraded to a bigger bucket (as my husband calls it). Especially if you plan on roadtripping anytime soon & don't plan to take the carseat out (because let's face it, that shit is heavy)... give your little guy or gal some extra room while they ride! :)
Parum Pum Pum Drum - We sometimes can't believe how much she loves this toy. She smooshes her face up against the lid, holds the straps in her hands while she claps & dances to the sound of all the little noisemakers inside. This was a big win! We did take away the drumsticks for now though, she wanted them in her hands at ALL times, and with her just learning to walk, we just knew the outcome wouldn't be good.
Beaba Utensils - Perfect for when you start feeding your kids the things that you eat. Those little, shallow baby spoons result in a giant mess. These are perfect for cut up spaghetti, casseroles, etc.
Where the Wild Things Are - My child is definitely a wild thing, so this book is obviously very fitting. But basically, books in general are on the favorites list in the last few months. Finally Harper is more interested in us reading them than her trying to eat them or rip the pages. Just in time for her first birthday, where we plan to spruce up her little library!
Skip Hop Bath Spout Cover - For your little fishy who now swims in the big kids tub! Harper is WILD in the bath tub these days, she slips & slides all over the place, so this thing is a lifesaver.
LeapFrog My Discovery House - Probably the most entertaining kids toy yet. Harper got this as a Christmas gift and plays with it non stop. There are so many little gadgets & sounds to entertain her, she even claps at this toy!

You can check out all of our month by month favorites by clicking the Monthly Favorites link at the top of the page! :)

 In other news, I seriously cannot believe that Harper is ELEVEN MONTHS old today. I would still like to know how this happened.


 She seems so grown up & independent. She is making great progress on walking & she even started saying IZZY when our cat comes in the room! Talk about mind blowing to hear your kid say their first word other than mom or dad. Whoa.

 Glitter Headband (similar here), Pink Skinny Pants, Striped onesie from last year


 Her silly little playful self is also getting harder to take pictures of. I guess instead I capture cute moments like this, her reaching out with both slobbery hands to grab my hair. Which she then puts over both of her eyes & squeals. 


I love this little wild thing with all my heart. Even if she wont kiss me. Damnit.

42 comments:

  1. Seriously...where has this year gone!? Love that she's talking and almost walking! And I want that drum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so cute! Good to know about the carseat, we are getting ready to upgrade soon! Love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love the Beaba spoons and forks too! They are awesome! Love her outfit in these pictures, it's too cute! I can't believe Harper's almost a year old. It seems like just yesterday you were posting about her arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! We have an Izzy too (small, cat-like dog). Love your post! They'll be great to look back on once we have a little one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i absolutely cannot believe it has been eleven months since little harper was born! we have that bath whale too, and we love it! harper is adorable as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow 11 months already!!! Where has the time gone? I remember reading your blog when your did the weekly chalkboard updates.

    She is such a cutie!

    Kerry www.ohsoamelia.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We bought the Discovery house for one of our kids last Christmas and out 18 month old loves it. He plays with it non-stop as well. Even in the middle of the night when we're trying to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable as always!!! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait for the first birthday picks and posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, 11 months?!?!? only a month until she's a year! I can't believe it! she getting so BIG, & CUTER & CUTER all the time! I just love her big blues(:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! I just found your blog and love it! My baby is 9 months old, so I can totally relate to many of your stories and yes, he won't kiss me either!! He does like to bite me though, and only me strangely enough- maybe I'll just call those kisses to feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I am pretty sure she and I have the same shirt on hahah. She looks much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great recommendations, we are only 6 months over here and just started with fruits and veggies, but I will come back and check this out when we need it, thanks!
    Harper is getting so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just wondering when your next Monthly Favorites would be coming out! I love all of your recommendations. Can't believe Harper is almost a year old already. She is so cute. Just love all her outfits

    ReplyDelete
  14. She is too cute. When did you stop breastfeeding/pumping?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even though this is my 3rd baby, I totally didn't even think to try grilled cheese with my 10 month old. I saw your pic on Instagram the other day and I made grilled cheese for her today at lunch. She loved it!! Thanks!

    Liz
    PINKx3.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. "I steamed the shit out of it." -- I love you. I feel like we are kindred spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol the Discovery house kills us. The birds and the doorbell, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness! She has gotten big so quickly! That drum is so fun! Glad she's loving food so much! I also have a nervous breakdown everytime C gets something new and he's still eating purees so I can't imagine when he starts solids!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your blog! I stumbled on it while I was pregnant with my little girl (who is just a few weeks younger than beautiful Harper) and I love to hear your reviews of the toys she loves & things that work for y'all bc I am also winging it with a little guidance from her pediatrician. Y'all are rockstara for taking her on such a long trip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had more to write but this thing wouldn't let me backspace and keep writing but o'well :)

      Delete
  20. I so had that Discovery House in my hands several times while Christmas shopping and always put it back, maybe I should reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Harper is so super cute! Love her outfit! I've been following Harper since birth, it is crazy she's 11 months! Ahh! My twins turned 2 months yesterday! Holy cow!
    Xoxo Carly

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know you hear this all the time but she really is a doll!! I can't believe she's almost 1!! I wish time would slow down too! I'm pretty sure I was just preggo 2 days ago, not 6 months ago!! ;) lol can't wait to get that carseat too. I'm so sick of carrying a 12 lb. carseat with a 16 lb. kid in it! Workout completed!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just found your blog---and LOVE it!!!!! Another fellow relocated Hawkeye blogger, so rare. My husband and I graduated from U of I and are now in NJ, just outside NYC with our two little boys and girl on the way. Looking forward to connecting!!!

    Julie
    www.thechirpingmoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. 11 months already!!! She is getting so big and so much cuter everyday! You are such a great mommy. LOVE your blog!!!

    Marissa
    thesimpleswan.blogspot.com
    A Mommy Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  25. She's beyond adorable!!!!!! My daughter has that drum set. She's 2 now and still plays with it. We've always been huge advocators for children's literacy. One of our favs at that age was "Where's The Green Sheep" by Mem Fox.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't believe she is going to be one! If you love holidays, birthdays are like a whole new drug. seriously. I'm addicted. too bad they don't come around more often ;)

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  27. She is adorable! In one of the pictures of her it looks like she is saying "I love you" in sign language! Love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jessica- do you still breastfed? Or has she weaned herself completely? I have a 5 month old that is allergic to dairy. So I don't eat dairy. Looking forward to when she is weaned so Momma can have some CHEESE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my gosh Harper is getting so big now -- and is it weird I wore that same outfit myself the other day, striped shirt and pink skinny jeans! she's so fashionable haha! xo

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. In regards to the car seat. Does it come with a base that you can buy for each car to make it easy to transfer from car to car?

    ReplyDelete
  31. In the second to bottom pick you caught her 'signing' I love you...melting into a puddle of ooey gooey baby goodness as we speak :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Where oh where is your rug from in the pictures with Harper? I am dying for a similar rug for the nursery, so soft and plush, perfect for a reading corner!

    ReplyDelete
  33. First time commenter! - We also bought the Discovery House for our five month old for Christmas. It is a favorite! "Good night little bird, Good night" haha.

    ReplyDelete
  34. adorable! i look forward to your favorites, as my little lady is exactly 2 months behind harper. concealer is our weapon of choice. i think our girls would get into some serious trouble together ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for all the advice!
    Katie
    godslittlegrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. we have the drum set too and my son is 4 and still loves this toy.

    ReplyDelete
  37. She's getting so big! I love that bath faucet cover from Skip Hop. They sell the cutest things!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Omg, I already wished they made kids clothes in adult sizes, but Harper's outfits are making me die that this isn't done! (And making me a little jealous I don't have a little girl yet ;-)

    ReplyDelete