Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving EVE!

It's so hard to believe that Thanksgiving is already this week! It's true that once Halloween comes, November & December fly by in the blink of an eye. I wish we could slow time just a little bit and bottle up all of the sweetness that will come with Harper's first holidays!

Her festive outfits are in full swing, decked out in her little Indian shirt & moccasins as we ran all of our Thanksgiving errands. She loves sitting in the cart making friends & being a little chatterbox as we roll through the grocery store.


I can't wait to put her in her Thanksgiving outfit & let her feast on all the goodies we will be cooking up! I have a feeling I will have to fight her for the dark meat... a giant turkey leg is my fav part of Thanksgiving dinner! (Not to be confused with a "big ass turkey leg" on Melrose in Iowa City on gameday.)

Minnetonka Moccasins, Headband

We will be hosting a small Thanksgiving at our house with a few friends (the one and only reason that I have not fully decorated for Christmas so far... gotta keep the Thanksgiving vibe for just a little longer!) so I thought I'd share our turkey day lineup!

Mimosas & Muffins will be breakfast while we all snuggle up watching the Macy's Parade! I look forward to this part every year. Cheese & Crackers + Hot Wings will be the appetizers of choice while we watch football, visit with our friends & have our annual pumpkin destroying festivities. This includes baseball, target practice & various other events that will leave pumpkin guts all over our backyard.

The star of the show will be the deep fried turkey! This was a tradition from my husbands family, I was skeptical at first, but is delicious this way! Plus, it takes less time & frees up your oven space for other goodies! I will make cheesy potatoes & green bean casserole (both are staples that we have every year). Stuffing cupcakes are another favorite! When Brandon & I lived in out first apartment, I only had one baking pan & one cupcake pan. So on Thanksgiving, I had no choice but to use both... I ended up making our stuffing in cupcake form and have never looked back!

For the first time ever, I am going to attempt making a sweet potato souffle!! I found the Martha Stewart recipe , BUT if anyone has an another amazing recipe that you'd like to share... I would love to hear it! Rolls & cinnamon butter will be on the side... although I will probably accidentally fill up on that before I even eat the real stuff. And last but not least... some dessert that I haven't decided on yet. I'm sure I'll find some amazing recipe late tonight that will land me in world's longest grocery store line trying to buy molasses or some other unimaginable ingredient that I obviously wouldn't have on hand.

I created a RECIPE PAGE for anyone who is interested in any of the food items I mention (on here or on instagram) - but be prepared for some half-assed recipes, these are likely typed up from memory.

We plan to top off the evening by watching Christmas Vacation for the first time of the season (a long time family tradition on both sides) & drink hot chocolate (or other adult beverage) from our moose mugs! I can already picture Clark W. fumbling down the stairs with the squirrel on his back... Oh, the excitement is overwhelming! :)
Happy Happy Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

33 comments:

  1. Wow! Every year my family watches Christmas Vacation on Thanksgiving night as well! It's my favorite tradition, cool to see my family isn't the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Harper looks so cute! I cinnamon butter, might have to snatch that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula Deen's Aunt Peggy's Sweet Potato Souffle is AMAZING! It is far from the healthiest thing on the planet, but that's what makes it perfect. You can enjoy it once a year without feeling bad about it! :)
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/aunt-peggys-sweet-potato-souffle-recipe/index.html

    P.S. You might have to start creating some holidays or just celebrating random ones to give you an excuse to dress that sweet little Harper up all festive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok seriously, she couldn't be cuter! A friend often bought moccasins for our baby girl, anticipating she'd be here for Thanksgiving, but she's hangin on till' the end! They look adorable, love her outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! Both our baby girls were born the same week and I am SO excited that its their first Thanksgiving, and even better, first Christmas!! Holy cow! So excited.

    And guess what? It gets better. I know you are thinking that there is no possible way that it could possibly get better, but it does. I have a three year old as well and the holidays are SO FUN!

    xoxo!

    (and check out my blog to see my baby girl that is Harper's age! They look a lot alike!)

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harper in those little moccasins .... So freaking cute :-) love all of your thanksgiving traditions and I'm really loving the stuffing in cupcake pan....you're a genius :-)

    Hope you have a great thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're fans of Paula Deen's easy peasy Sweet Potato Bake: http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/view2/sweet_potato_bake

    The menu sounds amazing, as do your holiday festivities. Enjoy it all, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum!! All these posts about food today over blog land has me wanting to go to sleep already so when I wake up it will be time to eat!! Your menu sounds delicious and you'll have some very happy friends.
    While I have never made a soufflé (nervous?), I always make this sweet potato from The Pioneer Woman and it is AMAZING and oh-so-easy to make. Just in case you want to take a look
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/10/soul-sweet-taters-step-by-step-recipe/

    Love little Harpers mocs! She is seriously the cutest

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://everydayelsey.blogspot.com/p/from-kitchen.html

    My sweet potato recipe, it's a staple in our house and a favorite of everyone. I just saw you said you were looking for one. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made a Pinterest inspired pumpkin dream cake over the weekend. Holy amazeballs!! It has a cinnamon maple cream cheese frosting that is the bomb! Check it out for an idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is our tradition to watch Christmas Vacation after Thanksgiving dinner too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am absolutely jealous of your Thanksgiving! Such nice traditions :) Loooove Harper's outfit! Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm trying out a new apple pie recipe this year. I found it on pinterest but the recipe can be found here...http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/cinnamon-roll-dutch-apple-pie/28ab433c-eac9-462d-9848-4903260e6821.
    The idea of combining cinnamon rolls and apple pie into one dessert sounds like heaven in dessert form.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharin! That's great, now I know. I thought your cheesy potatoes were taters and cheese. So is that the same "cheesy potatoes" that fell in ur oven?

    My fam and I make a similar recipe that I think you should try sometime "schwartie hash browns" google it. So delish!

    Hopin you have a great weekend of traditions as well as firsts. Firsts in your new home & for little Harper.

    Happy Thanksgiving xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shut up with those little moccasins! Lol. The best part of Thanksgiving is knowing we can all be loud and proud about Christmas approaching! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a FUN day from start to finish! You are definitely creating memories for your beautiful baby girl that she will cherish for years to come! Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a cutie! how exciting are the 1st baby's holidays!
    happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Harper looks adorable! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe! This was shared with me the first year I hosted Thanksgiving, and now I make it every year! You can make the filling the night before and pop it in the oven day of. Enjoy! As always, love your posts!

    Cousin Lula's Sweet Potato Souffle

    Filling
    4 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
    1 cup granulated sugar
    3 eggs, beaten
    1 stick unsalted butter, melted
    1-1/2 cup evaporated milk
    1-1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

    preheat oven to 400 degrees. whisk all the ingredients together, and pour into a greased 2 quart baking dish. bake 20 mins. remove from the oven and add the topping.

    Topping
    2 sticks unsalted butter
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup crushed cornflakes
    1-1/2 cup chopped pecans
    20 pecan halves

    melt the butter. add the sugar and cornflakes. stir, and spoon over potato filling. sprinkle with chopped pecans, and dot with pecan halves. return to oven and bake 10 mins longer.

    enjoy!! it's really easy and you can make it ahead of time. Not good for you, but what is on thanksgiving! This is always the only thing that has the least leftovers because everyone eats so much of it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank God you wrote this post! I just turned to my husband and said "let's start watching Christmas Vacation on Thanksgiving night!" His reply - "is it good?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? He's never seen it! Inconceivable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Harper is such a doll!!!

    Hereis one of my favorite Fall recipes. It is SO yummy!!!http://hickeymarks.blogspot.com/2007/11/pumpkin-chiffon.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ruth's Chris sweet potato casserole is the absolute best! Try it!

    http://blog.nola.com/dining/2007/11/cooking_new_orleans_style_with_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. I appreciate the recipes more than you know!!! I was looking for some last minute recipes!!! You are, as usual, a lifesaver :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Harper looks so cute! We are trying out the Trisha Yearwood Sweet Potato Souffle this year. I saw her make it on the food network and it looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Harper is so cute! I'm sure I'm not the olny one who is wondering what your Instagram name is

    ReplyDelete
  28. My little sister moved out here so she could be with our family & her nephew!! She would not let me forget the green bean casserole this year!! Along with apple pie lol. Harper looks so cute with those little shoes on!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Harper is too cute! Here is my favorite sweet potato recipe. - I make this every year and it does not disapoint. The pecan topping kicks butt.

    http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/view2/sweet_potato_bake

    ReplyDelete
  30. Harper is adorable as always, and your menu looks amazing! We live in Missouri, but we are in Mississippi right now for Thanksgiving (which is today :) ) to spend it with my brother who is in the Air Force! Sooo getting to my point, haha! We don't get a good thanksgiving meal, and yours about has me drooling!! The pumpkin festivities sound like tooo much fun!!! Have a great day! And HAPPY THANKSGIVING (gobble, gobble) :)

    P.S. Can you put up the recipe for that marshmellow popcorn you made, that you posted on instagram? That looked soooooo yummy!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I agree with the person who recommended Ruth's Chris sweet potato recipe ! Made it today and it was amazing. I'd like to start the tradition of watching CCCV too so ill steal that for next year. Love Harper's outfit !

    ReplyDelete
  32. those little moccasins are too cute for words! xo

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. Okay I saw this pin and totally thought of you :) hahaha

    http://wanelo.com/p/2620156/this-girl-loves-christmas-womens-unisex-sweatshirt-crewneck-50-50-funny-gift-s-m-l-xl-2xl

    This needs to be wrapped and under your beautiful tree!!

    ReplyDelete