Sunday, September 16, 2012

Your Questions Answered!

Thank you all for the sweet comments on my 100th post! Some exciting news to share about the blog today... we are finally getting a facelift! Little Baby Garvin will finally be ditching the outdated due date header & getting a whole new look. It's about time, right? :) So excited.

It is feeling so very Fall here in Georgia, I could hardly wait to get my hands on some pumpkins & put one of Harper's Halloween outfits on. We had a festive little weekend over here!


Time to answer some of your questions!! 
Many of the questions I get via email or comments are regarding my chalkboards. All of the answers can be found in this post. One thing I may not have mentioned there is that I don't use any stencils, it is all freehand. Also, I use Crayola brand chalk and whatever brand of chalkboard paint they have at Lowe's or Home Depot. And if you're going to do an actual chalkboard wall, make sure it isn't too textured or it will be a bit difficult to write on. 

What do my husband & I do for work? He is the director of marketing at a financial company and I am a marketing manager for a digital marketing agency. I actually worked in an office until we moved to Atlanta, where I then continued to work remotely. So my job isn't necessarily a work from home type of job, it just happened to work out in my situation. 

What is Harper's daily schedule? I posted about her day in this post, but she is older now so things are a little bit different. She wakes up around 7 (after sleeping through the night...yea!).. now that she is sitting on her own, I usually bring her into my room where she sits in her pack n' play for a bit while I wake up. She has breakfast (oatmeal, fruit & a six oz bottle) around 8 and then we typically go for a walk before I start work for the day. She is very entertained with all of her toys & books, so she plays while I work in the morning. She takes her morning nap somewhere between 10-12.
 I feed her lunch around 12:30 (veggie & six oz bottle), then we usually read and relax for a bit together. Then she will bounce around in her jumparoo and roll around with her toys until about 2:30. She then takes another two hour nap from about 2:30 until 4:30. When she wakes up from this nap, we usually hang out in the playroom for another hour. She has lots of musical toys that she just can't get enough of! This gives her a change of scenery & I have an office set up there so I can finish up work for the day. She has dinner around 5:30 (veggie, fruit w/ oatmeal & six oz bottle). 
Then I typically work out at 6:00 - the end of my work day so it is a great stress reliever. Harper will either sit in her bouncer seat or in her pack n' play, she loves to watch. Then dad comes home, I start dinner while he plays with her for a while, then she will hang out in her high chair while we eat. She has recently started getting mad if we are eating and she isn't - so we give her the fresh food teether with a chunk of fruit or an ice cube in it to keep her happy. Then we read a few books (current favorite is Hop on Pop - I heard Brandon reading it to her the other day saying "Ed, Ned, Ted & Red In Bed... never do that Harper, don't get in bed with Ed, Ned, Ted AND Red...." hilarious.) and it's up into the bath tub by 7:15. She gets a quick bath & then an 8 oz. bottle before bed, then asleep by 7:45.

Honestly, she is just such a good baby. She is so easily entertained, such a happy girl & a great sleeper again. I'm sure our next child will be bat shit crazy.


Let's talk about about my love affair with our Baby Jogger City Mini Stroller . I really can't say enough good things about this ride. I get a lot of questions about it and really all I can say is that it is fabulous! It steers so well, is such a smooth ride & I seriously think it is the cutest thing ever. The one downside with this stroller though is that you have to purchase the accessories separately. The Tray , Parent Console & Car Seat Adaptor are all available to pimp the City Mini out even more. As you can see here, my console is holding my iced coffee & giant Panera cookie. Which speaking of, they got rid of the toffee nut cookie and replaced it with a peanut butter version... what the eff!? 





Losing baby weight. This is a question that I get a lot & I am planning to do a post on this topic to give as much info as I can. The basics for me were breastfeeding (got me back to my pre-prego weight in less than two weeks), serious healthy eating (no soda/sweetened drinks, no eating after 8pm, always eating a healthy breakfast, lots of water etc.) & working out as soon as you possibly can. I was walking by the time Harper was a week old & running again at 5 weeks pp. Don't get me wrong, I can occasionally be found polishing off a family sized bag of Fritos, but it's all about finding those healthy snacks that you can love just as much. Tuna on sliced cucumber for lunch like twenty days in a row = hell to the yes. More to come on this topic though, I promise! :)

Harper's sleeping situation - I get a lot of questions about how we got her to sleep through the night, when we moved her into her own room, how she naps, etc. I know it is different with every baby, but here is a rundown. Harper started sleeping in her Nap Nanny around five weeks old. This was a LIFE CHANGER. The first night we put her in this, she slept through the night, and continued to do so until she turned into a teething monster at around 4 months.  Finally after about 4 weeks, once the first teething phase was over, she was back to sleeping all night long right away. As soon as that happened, she went into her own crib in her own room. Life changer #2. Not having her in your room, where you wake her up or you wake up to her every noise is good for both of you. It was hard, don't get me wrong, but it was much needed. We have an INCREDIBLE baby monitor, the Summer Infant Video Monitor, we can literally see her breathing. It is easily my second favorite baby purchase of all time. She sleeps with a paci, a security blanket, a breathable bumper on her crib & a sound machine playing white noise. We bought the Nursery Sound Machine and it rocks - so much in fact, that I purposely turn the monitor sound up loud in our room so we can hear the white noise as well! :) Let me clarify one thing though, we never used the "cry it out" method or anything of that sort. Harper rarely cries. When we put her to bed, she will play around and talk to herself sometimes for 30 minutes but then she will fall asleep. Sometimes she will fuss a little, if it goes on for a few minutes, we will pop in and give her back her paci or blanket, but she never once cried herself to sleep.
Again, I'm sure someday baby #2 will be a horse of different color. <-- what up Wizard of Oz reference. My best advice is to create the best routine & sleeping environment for your baby as early as possible. I think that once they learn that they CAN sleep through the night, they will.



Where do we buy most of Harper's clothes, my maternity clothes & all of our baby products?
Harper's clothes are almost ALL from the Gap - except this cute Halloween outfit from Carters
My maternity clothes were also mostly from the Gap, with the exception of a ton of my regular clothes from Express & JCrew that I wore most of the time I was pregnant. This includes the skinny belts - JCrew especially has the cutest ones.. I'm a huge fan of the gold glitter! I am going to try to do a better job of linking back to all of her/my outfits too.
We buy almost all of our baby products from Amazon using Amazon Prime - it is the bomb. Two day, free shipping on literally anything you could ever want. I swear by it - plus it usually is the best price around!


Harper's High Chair is from Ikea. I know it is way cute, but I don't think it is the most practical high chair out there. The seat isn't contoured for her to sit comfortably in it, the tray is not adjustable & the straps straight up suck. She is getting used to sitting in it, so it's not really that terrible anymore, I think it is really just better for older babies or toddlers. We have our eye on the Boon High Chair ... I want it BADLY. I've done a lot of research and this seems to be one of the best out there, despite the high price, it is likely to be our next purchase. And of course, since we will probably buy it soon ...and it is fall... I will probably buy the orange one. Because that's how I roll.

Most of you know, Harper's headbands are almost all from JamesonMonroe on Etsy. 
My Wagon Wheel shirt (as seen on Instagram) is from Tumble Root on Etsy.

I know there are more questions that I haven't answered, so I will be sure to follow up with more of these posts. Thanks again to all who follow along & for all of the wonderful comments & feedback. You guys all rock.  In the mean time, I will leave you with this cute little festive tush! :) 


THE END.

52 comments:

  1. what a great post! I will definitely keep all of these helpful tips in mind when we start a family! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting everything you have! I'm finishing up my first trimester now and love your blog! I'm really looking forward to that fitness post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post!!!!! I'm about to go off maternity leave, after 6 months off... And will be easing back in working from home. Your schedule will be a huge help!!!

    What brand of formula do you feed Harper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harper looks like a little angel in that second to last photo! She is so, so sweet. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely looking forward to your weight loss post. I have lost most of my pre-pregnancy weight (yea!). But I still have like 10 pounds left to go. So I'm curious to see if your tips will work for me. :) Harper is just a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely baby, family, and home you have! Harper is such a precious little baby. I absolutely love following your journey through pregnancy and mommyhood. Thanks for sharing your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha... ohhh boy. I am glad you know how lucky you are with how easy Harper is, haha. I have a daughter around her age and she is crazy. She needs to be constantly entertained personally, fights sleep like you would NEVER believe a child could, goes from smiling to absolute melt-down in 2 seconds flat, gets up every 2 or 3 hours at night, and is completely random with naps. She's the cutest baby ever and I think she has to be to make up for all the other crap, haha. I always say that I think God is telling me to only have one child by making her my first ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have the boon flair high chair in green for our five month old. Ob...sessed. And she loves it! And hello what other high chair has two removable tray inserts to throw in your dishwasher?? Legit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Same here...the Boon high chair is the bomb! We started with a Chicco one and hated it and I finally decided that I would cave and spend the money. So glad we did...it's so easy to clean, super contemporary and AWESOME. Enjoy!

    www.yellowmangolife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started following your blog when I was pregnant and had so much fun reading about your experience and not feeling alone in the whole pregnancy journey. It's fun seeing someone my age, in the same stage of life, doing such an amazing job being a mom! Now that my daughter is 3 months old, you've been super helpful with all your tips and tricks with Harper. Every time you have a new post I get excited and have my husband watch our daughter while I have an excuse for some "just mommy time." Thank you for making a very busy and wonderful time in my life even just a little brighter...I pass your blog on to all my preggo friends!

    P.S. The baby weight post would be amazing...I'm working so hard to get back into my
    "cute wardrobe" (<---sooo close!) and every bit of inspiration helps!
    Oh, and we seem to have the same taste in home decor...I'm excited to see what you've done with your new house!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've tried posting my comment a couple times so I apologize if they all show up! Just wanted to let you know I started following your blog during my pregnancy and you were so relatable. With you being 3 months ahead of me, it showed me what I might expect next. I too am in my mid-twenties, a 1st time mom of a little girl...thank you for being such a wonderful example of an awesome mom who still stays true to herself!

    I must admit that every time you have a new post, I hand my daughter off to my husband and have some "mommy time" as I enjoy reading your newest adventures and advice. Thanks for making such a busy and wonderful time in my life even just a little brighter!

    P.S. a baby weight post would be amazing! I'm kicking my butt trying to get back into my "cute wardrobe" (<--so close!) and every bit of inspiration helps. Can't wait to see how you've decorated your new house too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love reading your posts! =) You look great (as does your sweet girl). I see you use the City Mini? I'm expecting my first baby in November and plan to get the City Mini GT (we live in a small town with brick roads and un-even sidewalks). What stroller caddy/parent console are you using? And are you pleased with it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel like we are raising our kids the exact same way! I breast fed and I was skinny in no time! Also I am a very firm believer in putting your child in their own room. We had them in our room in a bassinetfor 4 months then in their own room and we never had a cry it out problem. I have friends who still have their 5 year old in bed with them and I'm like oh hell no! Also I literally lol'd when you said yournext child would probably be bat shit crazy, you crack me up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have you thought about the oxo sprout high chair? I don't know much about the Boon, but we just bought our 5 month old the sprout in beigh and walnut and LOVE it. So cute and works well :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should look at the OXO Tot Sprout High Chair. Myself and a bunch of my friends have it and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It is pricey too but it grows with your child. I seriously can't say enough good things about it.

    We also have the City Mini and LOVE it. I use it for everyday stuff all the time. I need to pimp it out though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! If you don't mind, could you specify which of the Summer Infant Video Monitors you have -- since you love it so much, I would love to look into it! :) Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post!! Thanks so much for so many tips... I look forward to some of the up coming posts that touch on some of this more in depth. Since you love it so much, do you mind sharing which Summer Infant Video Monitor you have? I would love to look into it! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for all the info! I just love your blog, and you have such an adorable little family!!! I will definitely refer back to this when we are prego! Harper just always looks so loved and content in the pictures, and that makes me smile :)

    californiagrownblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! Love reading your blog :) Ok, where oh where did you get those leopard flats in the pic with the stroller?! I've been looking for leopard flats for so long and those are beyond cute! Thanks for always brightening up my work day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We're obsessed with our nap nanny, he is in that practically all day & all night, he sleeps 6-7 hours in in at night! & he loves sitting up & not laying flat on his back. I went & bought 5 halloween outfits the other day but have yet to put him in it, I LOVE the kitty bottom. They have ones like that for boys too, we have monkey ones :) I really need to get the parent console on our city mini...I left my phone at the mall the other day because I had it resting on the top of the stroller lol!! Our son loves the sound machine his favorites are ocean, frog, & heartbeat....the frog is on the swing though. It literally instantly calms him.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We buy everything off Amazon as well. Love our Amazon Prime as well. Oh and my friend has the boon high chair and she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so sweet to answer all of these questions! You seem like such a down to earth, sweet girl! Happy to be following you (and can't get enough of precious Harper, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Jessica... I just wanted to say thank you for blogging and posting all about your life and baby :) I saw your blog when browsing Pintrest and liked your chalkboard.. and now you have inspired me to start blogging myself! SO THANK YOU :) I didnt realise how big the blogging world is.. and now I'm so excited to be apart of it :) Feel free to check out my blog.
    Love your little family to bits and I've never even met you haha.
    Anna Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I also love your blog! It's so fun to compare - I'm 14 weeks now! I have also started a blog to document the pregnancy and baby bump - I am curious - how did you create your header? I seem to only find generic ones on the google blogger - I must be missing something...

    Thanks so much and I appreciate you sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  25. what a doll! Do you like your stroller? I'm thinking about investing in a good one for little landon... :)

    http://scaifebabywatch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this post! Been following your blog since I found out I was pregnant since we are the same age and you actually live in my part of the world right now where I can feel like I'm there....I live in Japan now with my husband where I had my baby all by myself because my hubby was off on a work trip! BF now since my son, Christian, is only 2 months now but want to think about formula in a few months. What brand do you use and when did you stop BF Harper?
    Love all your post and comments about mommy hood :) thought it was funny in your last post your wearing the Leopard print Sperrys that I actually had gotten in the mail two days before it went up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are too funny! I've been saying the same thing, our little guy is sooo good we are bound to have a crazy babe next!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been following your blog since I found out I was pregnant (due today, actually... get out of my belly!) and all of your tips have been so helpful!

    We actually ended up going with the Baby Jogger City Select because I wanted a bit more of an off-road situation but we are just so excited to use it. I am really looking forward to your baby weight post, considering I'll be giving birth within the next few days :)

    Also, I know it sounds strange, but it sounds like y'all have Harper on a pretty good schedule at 6 months and I was wondering what type of methods you used to get her set to that? I know it can be hard, so any advice would be AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just discovered your blog via Pinterest and read the entire thing lastnight! You are a great, honest writer and I love how much you love the holidays! I'm the same way! Also, I am making one of those chalkboards!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great post! I recently ordered elle some headbands from JamesonMonroe when she had her deal on very Jane I want to say! Great stuff.
    Have you also looked at the phil and teds clip on high chairs? We didn't have a lot of space in our old house so that is the chair we went with. It was amazing and also great to travel with. We just recently switched Elle to the Mutsy booster chair. Love it and so easy to clean. Boon has a lot of great products and their chair is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just came across your blog on pinterest and I love it! You've definitely got a new regular reader! Congrats on your 100th post!

    And P.S. your daughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Loved this post, but I love them all! You are sooooo funny and soooooo gorgeous! It's so funny, I always tell my mom about you and how I want to meet you! It's like you are famous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. First, let me say, I absolutely LOVE your blog! I'm a a first time mom, about 10 weeks along, and have read every single one of your posts... they are SO helpful! That being said, I am crazy in love with the gray sweater you are wearing in your "36 week" photo... any chance you remember where it's from? Keep posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Harper is so so so cute!! My husband and I are getting anxious to start a family and your blog will help sooo much!! Random question, what kind of vehicle do you drive? Love cars for gas mileage but the suv for room! Just wondering what has worked for you and your family so far!!

    Thanks for being so open and sharing!! Your blog is definitely my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I was looking at reviews for the soundsmachine you have and they were horrible! But I see that you love it. Would you recommend to ignore all the horrible reviews and go for it?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Katie and I love our Boons! Another reason .... We are Interweb friends. :). fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love reading all of your posts. You give so much detail and since Im expecting any day now Ive been using a lot of your favorite items for our own baby purchases. You even inspired me to do my own blog when I found out I was pregnant except I'm not nearly as good as you when it came to updating my posts. I love the high chair you psted and wanted to give a suggestion for one thats a bit cheaper but can convert into a play chair. It's the mamas & papas high chair that once they grow out of it you can tke off the legs and use it as a regular chair and the chair itself is made up of a wipeable material so its easy to clean. Look forward to al your future advice !

    Amanda. Eababywhite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. luv luv your blog!! Harper is so sweet.. you are one lucky girl!! i dont know if you posted about the carseat you have for harper or not but i cant find a post about it..what brand is your carseat & where is it from?. does the city jogger stroller come with one? thanks for your help~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  39. Do you happen to have any ideas or suggestions about Halloween costumes (for adults)? Specifically couple costumes, I thought you'd have some creative ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for posting about the baby jogger. The wheels don't look like any baby jogger I've seen. Usually they are larger. I will have to look into this one:) Did you get the attachable car seat? That's what I wanted but wasn't sure about. I love reading your blog and all your tips are very helpful for this mom to be:)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I dont know if you know this, but the link for your highchair is only 6.00 on amazon. I just ordered hoping its not some sort of mistake. My order went threw and said it will be shipping. Just thought you should know so you can save yourself a bunch of money :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am a soon-to-be mama and love your blog! Thanks for the good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  43. You mentioned that 6PM is work out time - what sort of exercises do you do to stay in shape? Also, you seemed fit throughout your pregnancy, was this due to your great shape before getting pregnant, or did you do safe exercises throughout?

    ReplyDelete
  44. What kind of diaper bag do you use? I recently started using the skip hop duo and it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Looking forward to your weight loss post!!! love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Harper is so cute - and growing so fast!

    Might want to cut back on the tuna, though - it can contain a lot of mercury. Women of childbearing age are only supposed to eat one serving of white or two servings of light chunk tuna (less than one can) per week to stay within a safe level. I love the stuff, too, but I've had to cut back on it because of this!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hey there! So re: your work schedule. Sounds so flexible!!! Are you working full time or part time? I have an 11 month old and can only work from home during nap time! I read your post and wonder how in the world you get any work done! Guess I have a busy boy on my hands ;-) Enjoy you time with your sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I can't wait for your fitness/health post!!! You've got a rockin' body pre, during and post baby!

    ReplyDelete
  49. What brand of chalkboard paint do you usually purchase from Lowe's or Home Depot?

    ReplyDelete
  50. are the sperrys true to size fit?

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi Jessica,
    Love your blog so much! I came back to this post because I have a question about your city mini. I just bought one for our little guy who is due in early June, and I was wondering if you bought the car seat adapter? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth buying. I know the stroller can fully recline so even a tiny baby can lay in it, but I'm wondering what would be easiest when they are so tiny and sleeping in their car seat all the time. My other option is to buy a car seat frame stroller for the first month or so, then switch to the city mini when the baby is a little bigger. I don't remember if you mentioned what you used when Harper was first born. Thanks so much! ~Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! We actually used a snap-n-go stroller for the first month or so, I didn't even know Baby Jogger had an adapter at the time & we had gotten the snap-n-go at my baby shower. I actually really loved it & it was so so easy to use with a carseat in the beginning. Hope that helps!! XO

      Delete