Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hospital Bag


 First things first, I have to wish a Happy 3 Month Birthday to my sweet little babe... time flies much to quickly!! Here she is at one, two & three months. It seems like just yesterday we brought her home from the hospital & now she has an adorable smile and personality that melt my heart every day. Plus, I am sure she is the most adorable baby I have ever seen. Yes, I may be biased... but you have to admit, she is pretty cute, right? :) I am so looking forward to all of her milestones.. our ped said she can have rice cereal at four months and I am SO excited to see her face when she first tastes it. Seems silly.. but I think about it all the time!

I have had a lot of requests for a post about what I packed in my hospital bag...and three months later... here you go! Since I knew that I was going to have a c-section, I did a little research on whether or not I should bring anything specific, but it seemed like the lists really remained the same. This is the exact contents of my hospital bag.


Bathrobe - I know many sources say you wouldn't want to wear/ruin anything of your own, but I felt so good changing into my own bathrobe instead of the hospital gown and it did not get ruined a bit!
Slippers - Originally bought some cute Ugg mocassins. Turns out all of the fluids made me swell to infinite proportions ....


.....and I was only able to wear Comfy Socks with Grips on the Bottom which turned out to be the best purchase ever for the hospital stay.
Dry Shampoo - In case you aren't able to shower on your own, this would be a lifesaver. I also brought shampoo & conditioner, which I used instead because I was able to shower at about 24 hours after surgery.
Chapstick, Face Wash & Moisturizer
Boppy - for breastfeeding, snuggling & propping up baby. Can't say enough good things about these!
Camera, Phone & Chargers for both - for sharing the news & capturing all of the first precious moments!
Hand Sanitizer - For you & your guests, threw this in the bag last minute and we went through an entire bottle in three days. Babyganics Hand Sanitizer is the BEST!
Pillows & extra blanket - for the hubs window seat/bed :)
Snacks - Our hospital food rocked, but we also had jello, pudding and all of the stuff to make sandwiches while we were there. Of course hubs had to make a Chipotle run on day three as well.
Nursing Bra & Soothies
Baby Hats! - Was so exciting changing her out of the hospital hat and into her adorable hats I brought, and we got sooo many compliments from the hospital staff on how cute she looked
Going Home Outfit for Baby - something comfy & warm. Also, that is the only outfit she wore during the stay, the rest of the time she was in onesies from the hospital or just a diaper. No need to bring multiple changes of clothes.
Going Home Outfit for You - I recommend anything loose, five times larger than regular size, etc. As I mentioned, I was sooooo swollen from the fluids (not just my belly) and could hardly squeeze into the clothes I brought. I recommend Dance Pants from the Gap (I have so many pair, which I wore for weeks after Harper was born) and a stretchy nursing top... or if it is summer, definitely rock a maxi dress!!

Things that I thought we'd need but ended up getting/using from the hospital included the breast pump, lanolin, bottles, pacifiers, swaddle blankets, onesies, diapers, any feminine products, water cups & towels. No need to pack any of those things.. the hospital should be very accomodating!

And the one last thing I would recommend that we did not bring but it would have been a lifesaver... a plug in night light! All of the hospital room lights are soo bright. At bed time, you still need to be able to see your little one or be able to see to get around, but it is impossible to sleep with the awful room lights on.. or even the bathroom light. So I would bring a small plug in one, you'll be glad you did! :)

Just a shout out too to the wonderful nursing staff at the hospital we were at - they know who they are because they read my blog!! I had a few nurses come in to meet Little Baby Garvin.. they had been following the chalkboards from the very beginning! Maybe they were all just extra nice because we brought Valentine's Day cupcakes for the whole staff.. but either way, I loved them all!!!


36 comments:

  1. she is so precious!! I love the side by side pictures of her at 1,2 and 3 months! How much she has changed already!!!

    ♥ Ashley

    check out my blog too!!!

    atparsons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the ideas! I am 35 weeks and still adding items to the hospital bag all the time. We are having the baby in the Dominican Republic, so we need a lot more (I've heard they even send the baby naked if we don't bring our own baby clothes!), but reading lists like these really helps! Your little one is precious and makes me excited to meet my little girl soon too! Love following your blog - keep them coming! :)

    Kristin

    www.dominicandeyoungs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harper's little smile is adorable! Can't wait to see what's in store for you and your familyas you move and Harper grows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just have to say, but I'm pretty sure she's the cutest baby I've ever seen in my whole life! She's adorable! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been thinking about doing this kind of post after I made my ownpacking list. It seems like all the lists I saw had so many unnecessary things on them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cutest little Hawkeye!!!

    -Amanda
    manwomanwestie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post, as I am due in 10 days (although I hope she comes sooner!). It sounds like you guys brought a cooler with food/snacks, is that right? I've just packed some crackers and drinks for the hubs - didn't even think about a cooler.

    Your babe is gorgeous! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also just posted what I'm packing in my hospital bag, I haven't read anything about a night-light, but it makes complete sense! Thanks for the recommendation!

    Rachael
    Thesweetandthesalty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am 20 weeks with my baby girl and I have been reading your blog since I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks. I found it on Pinterest and your blog is definitely something I find helpful and enjoyable. Thank you so much for taking the time to post information like this. I see that God is doing some amazing things in y'alls life and I hope it continues! Your daughter is absolutely precious by the way (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so grateful for your posts like this, because I feel so clueless as a FTM!

    http://gandacummings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE that you put her in the same position and the same outfit for her monthly pictures; such a smart idea! My little beeb turns 3 months this Sunday, so her and Harper are super close in age. I've been following you since about 1/2-way through your pregnancy and it's awesome to see you and her grow alongside me & my daughter! If you ever want to swap stories just come on over to my blog!!

    Hope she's being a good baby for you! :)

    Ali
    http://www.theduggans2011.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just had a baby six weeks ago. I would recommend bringing a Hooter Hider. It was nursing easier and less awkward for you and your visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She really is a gorgeous baby. I thought the third pic was cutest and then realized it was an age progression thing. She just gets cuter and cuter <3

    Thanks so much for posting what you put in your hospital bag. I literally only had a few ideas and your blog will come in handy!!!

    Life is really going great for you lately with new baby, the move and a gorgeous house!!!

    Love, love, love your blog. I always get afraid you'll get too busy and it will end :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you took my recommendation on the socks! They really are awesome. I feel like Bath and Body should market them as a baby shower gift.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Harper is absolutely adorable. :) I had a question regarding your C-section, they say after you give birth you bleed alot is the case too with c-sections? Thanks for the packing list, I'm sure it will come in handy when I'm expecting. Good luck moving, can't wait to see some of your design projects!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blogs are so helpful!! I'm only 16 weeks but I have been, and will be checking back frequently to check out your suggestions for whatever situation might arise so, Thank you in advance =] Also, your baby girl is PRECIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO helpful! I am due in two weeks and still adjusting my bag!


    littlebabyoverman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I rocked those Bath & Body Works socks with my first child. I recommend them to every one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. your baby is precious - always love your pics and hearing what you've been up to! : )


    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wore the EXACT same socks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Finally you posted something ;) I have been waiting for ever! Please don't do that to us ever again :) She is ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!! She is getting cuter and cuter every post!! I CANT wait for the next post, and please make it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your baby doll is just that...a DOLL!! OMG she's cute!! Love her expression in that last shot too! I just want to squeeze her (in a good way). I just wanted to ask if you'd be able to make this list into a pin board on pinterest. I find that it would be SUPER handy to keep in mind when that day should come (pin it to my "rememberin' it for future life with kidos" board. Thanks for a great post and updated pics of Miss Harper!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. congrats on your new home! absolutely beautiful and I'm sure that you will make many amazing memories there! xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad you did this post. I'll start packing my hospital bag next week! Eeeek!!! 6 more weeks!!!

    Marissa
    The Simple Swan
    A Fashion, Beauty, and Maternity Blog

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the post! I'm 20 weeks with baby 2 and I love the night light suggestion! Super smart, I just kept the bathroom light on during the night, but it was still BRIGHT! and @Beth, yes you still bleed with a c-section. It's your body cleaning out your uterus. You'll bleed about 6 (give or take) weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Also, I'm totally going to buy some of those socks for this time around! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. where did you purchase your baby hats?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Totally just a suggestion here, as every mom has to decide on their own what's right for their baby, but I would suggest doing your own research as to whether or not giving rice cereal at 4 months (or at all) is what you think is best. Anywho, Harper is absolutely adorable and I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love your blog! The dance pants from Gap you talk about are those the leggings from gap you recommended a while back?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jessica! Harper is just beautiful!:). Hadn't been on your blog in awhile... Good to see updates!:)
    When's garvin baby #2 gonna be in the works;)
    <3
    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this! Thank you! Do you have any suggestions about what to pack for hubby?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love these ideas! Thank you! Do you have any suggestions of what to pack for hubby?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this! Thank you! Do you have any suggestions about what to pack for hubby?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just started following your blog and really enjoy it! I am expecting my first baby in October, a girl! I would love to know where you got the baby hats. They are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cool hospital bags in your post. Good work by you!



    Buy skiing jackets at Eight K

    ReplyDelete