Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Your Questions Answered!

...and some cute pictures of Harper of course! Thank you all for the wonderful feedback on the last few posts, I wanted to take some time to answer a few common questions.

Black Onesie from BuyBuyBaby, Leggings from Baby Gap & Headband from Jameson Monroe

Our Boppy Cover is cream, minky and is from the Etsy shop Little Owl's Nest. Again, I vote the Boppy as one of my all time favorite, must have items for having a baby. We use it for everything.. I just said the other day that I wish I had two! I have another super cute cover that my friend Joanna bought me that I haven't had the time to put on just yet, but it is ADORABLE, will share soon! If you all are interested, I'd love to post some of my Etsy favorites on here, I feel like that is the only place I shop! :)

In terms of Harper's schedule & sleeping, again, I didn't push this and set it for her, she really set it herself. I noticed patterns in how she would operate each day and eventually it just worked out to follow it. This also helps us determine what times of day she is happiest, fussiest, sleepiest, etc. and we are able to plan activities around it. Until she was a month old, she would wake up every 2-3 hours on the dot to eat in the middle of the night. Then one night we did bath time, got a white noise machine & put her in the Nap Nanny and she slept until 4:30 am. We've never looked back. She consistently wakes up at that time, but I feed her and she falls right back to sleep. We put her to bed fully awake, she will lay there with her eyes open, squirm around a little bit and then falls asleep on her own. I think that may help for when she wakes up in the night? I wish I had all the answers for you, but this is just my experience & best guesses :)

Bath time is actually something I think that we all look forward to each night. She is so happy in her little tub. I definitely believe that it helps her sleep, it wears her out! Our doctor told us from the beginning that once her belly button falls off, we could give her a bath as often as we'd like but possibly only use soap every other time so that her skin doesn't dry out. We use California Baby Lavender Wash & Baby Magic Lotion after. Both smell AMAZING and never any dry skin issues. I am so looking forward to introducing bath toys!

I plan on posting about my c-section & recovery (the nitty gritty!) but haven't had the time to complete the post. But in terms of losing baby weight, I started taking walks within the first week of being home from the hospital. On Harper's one week birthday, I pushed her in her stroller for over a mile. I started running again at 5 weeks & since then have been doing cardio and small Crossfit workouts. Also, with the hectic schedule of life with a baby, keeping healthy food around the house that is easy/quick to eat will be a sure fire way to eat healthy.. who has time to eat chips & dip with a newborn? Guess I'll have a banana. But I will of course pay much of the credit to breastfeeding. I was back to my pre-baby weight by my 5 week post-op appointment, but have some much needed toning to do.

All of her Baby Toys are from either Buy Buy Baby or Diapers.com, and I think both places carry all of the toys!

While most pictures on my blog are straight from my iPhone, many have asked what kind of camera I use. I have a Panasonic Lumix 16 Megapixel point & shoot. Annnnd I love it :)


A few other random observations during this journey through motherhood:
  • Just when you start to laugh at the realization that you've eaten a peanut butter sandwich for lunch five days in a row... you will find yourself eating a spoonful of peanut butter and then shoving a piece of bread in your mouth after because you literally don't have the additional eleven seconds to make it into an actual sandwich.
  • I have always been frustrated with people leaving their carts around the parking lot rather than taking them to the cart return or back into the store. But it takes a special kind of asshole to jam a cart up a curb to where it sticks out behind a vehicle that is parked in the pregnant/mothers with newborns parking spot. Not fun to deal with when it is raining when you come out of the store with a baby, a stroller & a carseat. Be kind, rewind return your carts!
  • I would like to see a baby product company focus their efforts on making things easy to open quickly with one hand. When you have a poopy, screaming baby that you are holding with one hand on the changing table and trying to open a new box of wipes with the other, is it really necessary that it be cemented shut, with four layers of tape and cardboard casing thicker than a 2 x 4? Good grief!
 Jammies from Carters & Blanket from Aden + Anais for Target

Stay tuned for a super exciting announcement! (No, not baby #2, although that will be super duper exciting one day..) For those of you who love decorating, I have some big news! :)

42 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica! I found your blog through Pinterest and have been checking in weekly for your updates ever since. And, through your blog, I found Etsy. I could spend hours on the site looking at baby items and would love to see your favorites! There is so much on the site, it can be a little overwhelming. PS, I love Harper's nursery...you should consider designing nurseries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you posted--I've missed reading about baby Harper! Thanks for sharing, and I'm looking forward to hearing the good news! And PS--I let Liam set his schedule too and it's always worked out great, he was sleeping through the night at 12 weeks with no feedings and we haven't looked back! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOOO CUTE! It wa sone of those days that i came home from school and a long post was awaiting me :) Can't wait to here the news! Just please dont wait to long, i get a little impatient :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip on the bobby cover! Would LOVE to hear what your favorite shops are! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is lovely. Thank you for sharing. :)

    Warmly,

    Blanca

    ReplyDelete
  6. where did you get your white noise machine/what kind is it? my son is 2 weeks old & i would love to get one to help him sleep

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a huge Etsy shopper as well, and actually just ordered my boppy cover and so many other baby related items.

    I've seen some of Harper toys that you said she really loves, have you seen the Kushies toys? They are to die for and are great for sensory play!

    Rachael
    thesweetandthesalty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harper is so adorable! I love that first outfit that she is in. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, running at week 5? You're awesome!

    Love that Aiden & Anais blanekt from Target - so cute

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog through Pinterest while searching for fun maternity photo ideas (I'm 11 weeks along.) Then I started reading and realized you were from IOWA!! This makes me extremely happy because I am from the Northwestern area of the Hawkeye State and now live in Alabama (Midwestern transplants, woot woot!) I have loved looking through your past posts and hope you do not mind if I start following your blog with a link from my own.

    joy,
    *Libba*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Harper is the cutest ever, no lie. She looks just like a fashionista in that first pic, what a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanted to know how you get a smooth finish on your chlakboard frame I can't seem to get a nice smooth ffinish and it's a little bumpy. I use chalkboard paint but I have used chalkboard spray paint in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I laughed so hard at your cart comment. I don't have a baby (yet) and it drives me crazy!!! If I see someone abandon their cart I will grab it (right in front of them) and put it back. I don't say anything; I just smile and hope they feel bad about a complete stranger picking up after their laziness.

    Sorry to rant, but I am glad I am not alone:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE the boppy!! We still use ours for Olivia to give herself a bottle!

    Love your gripes bc I think I have had all of those same complaints at one point! haha

    DO you like buy buy baby over babies r us? We don't have a buy buy baby near us but recently have gotten fed up with the closest babies r us and their "customer service" or lack there of!

    Olivia has that sleeper set! SO cute!!

    LOVE the pics of Harper, she is SO gorgeous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found your website on Pinterest and it gives me all the advice and suggestions that a soon-to-be first mom needs. It is definately my go to guide on what to expect. Will you post some of the exercises/dietss that you do for after I have the baby? Thanks and keep on posting...I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are just so darn cute!! Thanks for all the bloggin I just love it. I am trying to lose baby weight and seeing your pic with your hubby was so inspiring post some more pics like that, it motivation for us mamas :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. And yes, post your fave shops. I had no idea what esty was until your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You will be SO thankful that you got Harper on a schedule and got her used to going to bed awake. It can be challenging at first, but is totally worth it. I did the same thing with both of my little ones, and around 4 months they started sleeping 7pm - 7am. It was a glorious thing, and allows you time with your hubby! Sounds like you're doing a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is great!! Harper looks adorable!! can't wait to hear your new news!!!

    ♥ Ashley

    atparsons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - walking a mile at 1 week after c section and running at 5! You are my hero :) !!! I am at 2 weeks post c section now and hoping to be able to go for a walk with stroller soon!!! Thanks for the great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jessica - thank you for your honest and super sweet post. You make motherhood look easy and I give you all the credit in the world - I think you are a natural and Harper is such a lucky baby to have you as a mom. I look forward to your new post and have enjoyed following you on Pinterest and swooning over all of Harpers WAY. TOO. ADORABLE. pictures. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face, everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the leopard outfit on Harper -- what a cutie ;-)
    Ps. can't wait to see more of your chalkboard creations!

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE her! That first picture just melted me-- she's such a pretty baby!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so in love with your posts you are handling motherhood beautifully!

    http://gandacummings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this post. Our little girl will be here in just about a month and I can't wait. Your blog has been so helpful! Thank you for all of your insight and tips!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to hear about your etsy favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just love your blog, it always makes me laugh out loud! Harper is adorable! I can't til my journey of motherhood begins in August with my baby girl! I have a queston about how often you worked out while being pregnant and what kind of workouts? I work 50 hrs a week at a hospital and am 23 weeks and I sometimes find it hard to get on my elliptical but am always glad I did afterwards! Glad everything is going well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always look forward to your posts. Very informative. Just added the Nap Nanny to my registry. ;)

    Marissa
    www.thesimpleswan.blogspot.com
    A Fashion, Beauty, and Maternity Blog

    ReplyDelete
  29. You MUST list your fave Etsy shops ASAP! I looovvvveeee Etsy because the stuff is original, adorable and goes to support small businesses. It's a win-win situation all the way around! Pleeeaaaasssseee list your fave Etsy shops soon! Many baby showers in my future! =)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your baby is so stinkin cute!! I could look at pictures of her all day and just stay happy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great post! Would love to hear your Etsy favs!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Seriously, seriously cant get enough of this blog! I am obsessed! I really wish I found something like this when I was pregnant with my first... your posts are filled with such great tips, ideas, and humor! I'm sure you've heard this enough by now but you're TOO creative! Even your pictures of your baby are too stinkin' cute and they're candids! This is my third baby at 24 years old (born march 8th) and my third little girl! If you thinking having one little girl is fun.. wait til you have more! The more girls.. the more girly fun! But, I'm sure having another baby isnt even on your horizon (maybe, maybe not ;))! I would love to hear some of your favorite etsy shops.. I live on that website when it comes to finding headbands! Keep postin', girl!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love reading your blogs!!! Thank you for sharing'

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for your honesty about getting back to prebaby weight- my sister's wedding is 7 weeks after my due date and it's so nice to see that with some hard work and diligence, it IS possible to get back into shape quickly and safely! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've been reading your blog for a while now and just wanted to say I love how you write! I hate it when people decide to start one of these blogs and aren't real about the situations or who they are, but you are completely real about it. And ps, every time I see a post about Harper it makes me think, "I need to buy more footie pajamas!"

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm loving "bug" anyone find a link to purchasing him? I searched the sites listed but had no luck.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I would love to know what you packed to bring to the hospital in anticipation of baby Harper's arrival. During my last Dr. vist I was told to start getting a bag packed, but what are the must haves to bring to the hospital?

    ReplyDelete
  38. So much great info for a mama to be! Love reading your blog, definitely taking notes :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Reading your blog always makes me smile :) We're expecting our first little one this summer, and you're so inspiring! It has definitely helped idiot-proof things for me haha.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hey There - love reading the blog and have a question - where did you find cutie girl's plain black onesie? I've found some but they never fit right and look weird. I, too, became a Carter's junkie with our little guy (sleepers, onesies, etc) even when I would've sworn to you I would have very little to do with Carter's. I've searched and bought a couple different brands of onesies and none fit as well as Carter's. Interested in knowing where you found yours. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Congrats on your new home! I have been following on and off and love the blog. Can't wait to see what happens and hear about more stories and see more crafts.
    -Avigail
    http://avigailandcharlie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your baby Harper is beautiful! Congratulations! Love ur blog! Thanks for some of your posts for mom to be's, I'm actually expecting twins in November!
    Have a Suneday!
    Carly @ swtvintagelove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete