Thursday, October 13, 2011

Books for Baby

 They say that baby girl can hear us talking & that we should start reading to her while she's still in the oven. How ridiculous! But I'll probably do it :) I LOVE children's books!!

Image via Pinterest.

I started thinking the other day about all of the books we will want to buy to build up her book collection. My favorite books from when I was a kid include If You Give a Moose A Muffin (or a Mouse a cookie.. or a Pig a Pancake.. or a Pregnant Girl a Burrito...), Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Shel Silverstein Poetry & Dr. Seuss's The Hair Book! My grandma used to read The Hair Book to me all the time when I was little, not sure why I was so obsessed with it. Maybe because I had hair down to my butt like the girl in the book. All of these books are a MUST!
 Some of our other favorites that we need to get our hands on for the mini library include:

Where the Wild Things Are
The Velveteen Rabbit
Eloise
Harold & The Purple Crayon (tell me someone else remembers this book?!)
Cordouroy
The Very Hungry Caterpillar (and all Eric Carle Books)
Curious George

I know I am missing lots of other great children's books.. I will have to add to the list as I go along. I also really want to find a cute way to display some books in the nursery without going overboard. I thought about just putting a few in a wire basket by the glider. I love this display from Martha Stewart!

Yesterday was the start of week 21 - which apparently brought rib pain along with it? Boo, if this is just the tip of the discomfort iceberg, I am in hot water!

16 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to buy more books for our baby! You've got some good favorites... if you haven't seen "The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry and The Big Hungry Bear" you HAVE to. It's great. The artwork is probably my favorite, but it's such a cute book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love children's books too..luckily, I am a Kindergarten teacher, so I have all the good ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog via pinterest. I have a baby girl who is 18 months old now. Some of our favorite books are the Sandra Boynton books. Pajama Time, Barnyard Dance, Moo Baa La La La, The Belly Button Book, the Little Pookie books. They are all fun short little books.

    Enjoying watching your baby bump grow! Hope the pregnancy goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At my baby shower, each guest brought a children's book with a nice message written in the cover for the baby. We have dozens of books now which is great because the beautiful hardback books start to add up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! I've been following you're journey, and I'm due February 10. A suggestion I found on pinterest for displaying books: Buy rain gutters (yes, gutters!) and nail them in rows (or however to the wall, or to a piece of plywood and they act much like the rails in the Martha Stewart display you have, where you get the see the covers of the books! Just a suggestion! Best of luck! P.S. totally understand the rib pain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUCH a good idea! I should start thinking about my favorite children's books too! There are just so many good ones out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love your blog! I teach 7th grade language arts and I absolutely love the author Peter Reynolds. His books have great messages that children need to learn early on. The illustrations lend towards the adult while the messages resonate with children. You should definitely check out his books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a random passerby, My friend had everyone bring a book to the baby shower instead of cards. They would sign the inside of the book as if it were the card. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should get, "Everybody Poops". It'll come in handy when the little one gets bigger and knows what she's doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A easy alternative to display your child's book collection (similar to the Matha Stewart display you posted) - spice racks from Ikea! Clearly, they will hold much less than what you've posted, but they are a steal at $3.99 each... and you can spread them throughout the room, wherever works best in your space. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40070185/ (here is the finished product http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/shelving-storage/inexpensive-forwardfacing-bookshelves-domestic-simplicity-135897)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband and I are 10 weeks pregnant with our first baby and we ran across your blog via Pinterest. He's not usually interested in the baby blogs I find, but we were literally cracking up reading yours! He was like these people sound like us! Nice to see that parents can still be fun and silly!! We'll definitely keep up with your adventures. Also, we love the chalkboard idea and may steal it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodnight Moon was one of my favorites and I always buy it for my friends when they have their babies. I like the type of book because its indestructable for little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your blog, Love the baby bump. I have a 3 y/o daughter and we love to read together. Some of my favorite kids books is from Bernadette Rossetti-Shustak, I love you through and through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Night Moon was always a favorite with my Brandon. I also really liked anything Dr. Suess!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know it's late in the game and I don't know if you've already heard of it or already have it, but I'll Love You Forever by Robert Munsch was always my favorite. My grandma actually used to read it to me and I can still hear her singing the song that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. chicka chicka boom boom, one of my kids favorite books.. and the Give a Moose a Muffin series..of course my kids are all grown now

    ReplyDelete